Leverage: you don’t need to do it all
Aim to build a team of capable people around you, so that you don’t need to do everything yourself.
Delegating tasks to responsible team members or outsourced service providers brings a variety of benefits:
- You’ll have capacity to execute more goals.
- You might not be the best person to perform a task. If you lack creativity skills but another team member has a flair for it, the website project will turn out better.
- It can have a self-fulfilling effect on employee engagement.
In his fantastic book The Truth about Employee Engagement, Patrick Lencioni explains that the three key attributes for staff to enjoy their job are:
- They feel understood and appreciated by someone in a position of authority. If they feel invisible, generic or anonymous, they cannot love their jobs, no matter what they do.
- They can see that their job is important and matters.
- They can gauge their progress and contribution for themselves. They cannot be fulfilled in their work if their success depends on the opinions or whims of another person.
So, if you have team members help you with the important execution items, you’ll likely cover all three of these attributes.
They’ll feel trusted and appreciated. When you explain to the employee just how much the task means to you, the business or your customers, they’ll see that their job matters. And, if you set deadlines for accomplishing tasks, they can assess their own progress.